The Hollywood North Park Civic Association, forerunner of today's Hollywood - North Park Community Association, was created in 1951 by neighbors who sued to shut down a troublesome business on Metropolitan Sanitary District land near Peterson and Jersey Avenues. After winning the suit, the Association successfully campaigned to have the land transferred to the Chicago Park District, which converted it to green space, now known and enjoyed as Legion Park.
Those determined residents created a legacy that the Association carries forward today: Assessing neighbors' concerns and seeking consensus, strategizing and acting together to develop solutions, enjoying the natural and cultural bounty of our community.
Since 1951, HNPCA milestones include:
Lobbying for and receiving the city's first "Residential Only Permit Parking" on streets near Northeastern Illinois University;
Saving the former Municipal Tuberculosis Sanatorium grounds from commercial development and remaking them for community as North Park Village;
Convincing the Chicago Fire Department to keep its Peterson Pulaski station open;
Advocating successfully for the Albany Park Library and, more recently, for Northside College Preparatory High School.
In 2001 HNPCA celebrated its 50th anniversary with an outdoor festival at North Park Village.
For more information please follow this link: www.hnpca.org