Business Resources

City of Chicago - Resources for Businesses

Schedule an Appointment with a City of Chicago Business Consultant
Make an Appointment With a Business ConsultantOur Business Consultants are available to assist you whether you are starting your business, expanding, or have any other business license-related needs. Appointments are strongly recommended, and will reduce potential wait times. You may schedule an appointment by calling our Business Contact Center at 312-74-GOBIZ (744-6249).

Business Consultants at the Small Business Center can assist you with:

  • Business start-up and expansion
  • Business license applications and changes to renewal
  • Public Way Use applications and permitting
  • Zoning information
  • Guidance and assistance to all City business processes
  • Assistance to schedule licensing re-inspections


Get Started Online at the Business Affairs and Consumer Protection

Apply or Renew Your Business License Online - The City of Chicago's Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection (BACP) provides a fast and easy online application to streamline your renewal and application process. Click here to begin your application or renewal process. Call BACP at 312-744-6060
Click here to go to the City of Chicago Business Licensing start page

Finances, Loans - City of Chicago offers an online resource hub for small business owners seeking financial assistance. See the link below. Our staff at the Chamber here in Albany Park will also help you find the right resources for financing. Just call Duka Dabovic to set up an appointment in person or on the phone: 312-860-8543
Click here to go to the City of Chicago financial resources start page

Free Business Education Workshops -  Business Affairs and Consumer Protection hosts free business education workshops every month covering a variety of topics, including: marketing, website creation, financial resource connection, writing a business plan, certification with the City of Chicago and MBE/WBE, and more. Call BACP at 312-744-6060.
Click here for the monthly calendar of free workshops

Chicago's Minority and Women-Owned Business (M/WBE) Certification Program demonstrates the City's continued commitment to the success of minority-and women-owned businesses by offering certification opportunities to MBE and WBE firms. Click here to learn more.

Sign Regulations and Permits
A sign permit from the Department of Buildings is required to place a sign on a parcel of land, a building, a structure or a place of business in the City of Chicago. There are two types of signs, on-premise signs and off-premise signs.
For more information, click here.

Restaurant Resource Center - The Restaurant Start-Up Program is designed to make it easier for you to start a restaurant in the City of Chicago. The City will be more of a partner helping you grow and create jobs by making the start-up process easier, reducing inspection visits and wait times through a team-based approach, helping restaurants pass their inspections, and increasing inspection transparency. Click here to get started.

Zoning - What is the zoning of your building? Do you need a special use permit? Our staff at the Chamber here in Albany Park will also help you understand zoning for your business and find the right resources if you need additional assistance. Just call Duka Dabovic to set up an appointment in person or on the phone: 312-860-8543

Tax Increment Financing (TIF) - Tax Increment Financing (TIF) is a special funding tool used by the City of Chicago to promote public and private investment across the city. Funds are used to build and repair roads and infrastructure, clean polluted land and put vacant properties back to productive use, usually in conjunction with private development projects.
Find out more, click here

Small Business Improvement Fund (SBIF)
The Small Business Improvement Fund (SBIF) program uses Tax Increment Financing (TIF) revenues to help owners of commercial and industrial properties within specific TIF districts to repair or remodel their facilities for their own business or on behalf of tenants.
Find out more, click here