North River Commission is the nonprofit community development corporation for the northwest side of Chicago. Our current areas of work include:
• Business Development: Operation of the Albany Park and Irving Park Special Service Area (SSA #60) and operation of the Albany Park Chamber of Commerce. North River Commission is a delegate agency of the City of Chicago working to support small business owners and customers.
• Community Development: North River Commission engages the community in planning for the future in collaboration with LISC Chicago, Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning, Chicago Department for Planning and Development, Illinois Department of Transportation, and Chicago Transit Authority.
• Affordable Housing: North River Commission developed Mayfair Commons senior housing at Elston and Lawrence in the 1990s and is now refinancing the project in order to renovate and preserve it as affordable senior housing. NRC works with landlords and tenants to improve the quality of rental units while maintaining affordability.
• Education: NRC partners with Illinois State University’s Teacher Pipeline to connect education majors to Chicago Public Schools and our neighborhoods, which encourages them to choose Albany Park schools for their first teaching positions. NRC also supports the 24 CPS schools in our area by working with students, parents, teachers and administrators in improving the quality of education.
• Environment: The Environment Committee is focused on two projects, flooding solutions at the home and neighborhood levels and tree planting in parks and parkways.
• Arts and Culture: The objective of the Art & Culture Committee is to collaborate with artists and the community to enhance offerings in our area. NRC is engaged in a long term project with the Chicago Park District and Northeastern Illinois University in creating a sculpture park for the communities around Ronan Park.