Facade Improvement Program
The Facade Improvement Program is offered through the Albany Park & Irving Park Special Service Area #60 (SSA #60), a special taxing district, whose overall purpose is to:
Support a vibrant, safe, clean, beautiful, and welcoming commercial district, filled with restaurants, attractive retail and service, culture ad entertainment options that meet the needs of the local residents and attract visitors.
The Facade Improvement Program is designed to help property owners and tenants within SSA #60 beautify the front of their buildings. The program provides a rebate of 50% of your costs, and the maximum rebate is $7,500 for 1 storefront or $15,000 for buildings with 2 or more storefronts.
The Facade Improvement Program is open to properties located within the Albany Park & Irving Park SSA #60 boundaries:
- Lawrence Avenue: Pulaski Ave to North Branch Chicago River
- Montrose Avenue: Central Park Ave to North Branch Chicago River
- Irving Park Road: Central Park Ave to California Ave
- Kedzie Avenue: Ainslie St to Irving Park Rd
- Kimball Avenue Lawrence Ave to Leland Ave
TYPE OF ASSISTANCE
Building owners, or tenants with their building owner’s approval, who plan to make at least $500 of exterior improvements, may receive a 50% rebate for the improvement, up to a maximum of $7,500 per storefront. In addition, the maximum rebate for one building is $15,000 where renovations include two or more storefronts.
Examples of eligible improvements include, but are not limited to:
- Signs or graphics, including removal
- Window and door replacements
- Tuck-pointing (competitive applications will include more than just tuckpointing)
- Landscaping and flowerboxes
- Exterior lighting excluding strobes or flashing lights on windows or awnings
- Installation of appropriate anti-graffiti material. NO exterior security gates or grates
- Security grate removal
- Security systems, must include other physical storefront improvements
- Projects that will bring retail spaces into compliance with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)
- Improvements to the sidewalk(s) directly in front or to the side of the property (rules apply).